A preventive maintenance program is a must for all commercial properties. Without it, owners are likely to end up with costly repairs and replacement. This is where Maintenance Specialists Inc. comes in. We provide commercial property preventive maintenance services so that your business can operate smoothly and efficiently 24/7.
What Is Preventative Maintenance
Preventive or preventative maintenance involves the systematic inspection of a commercial property. All commercial property components — including equipment and structures — undergo routine maintenance to reduce or minimize the likelihood of failure. Since these components are maintained on a regular basis, owners or managers can easily identify potential problems.
Predictive vs Reactive vs Preventive vs Preventative Maintenance
There are several types of maintenance plans for commercial properties. Here’s how preventive or preventative maintenance is different from the others.
Like preventative maintenance, predictive maintenance is a proactive approach. Commercial property components are maintained on a certain schedule. However, preventive maintenance is more of a time-based approach. Components may be maintained daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally, or annually.
On the other hand, predictive maintenance is more usage or condition-based. Technicians monitor components and watch out for warning signs that may signal that failure is about to occur. For instance, components may be maintained every 5,000 hours of usage. It’s important to follow the maintenance requirements specified in the user manual of each component.
With reactive maintenance, commercial property components are only repaired or replaced only after they have failed or malfunctioned. This type of maintenance plan is common with properties that are financially-strapped since they do not have the funds for scheduled maintenance services. However, what property owners fail to realize is that reactive maintenance costs 9 to 10 times more than preventative maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions About Preventive Maintenance?
Benefits of Preventative Maintenance for Commercial Properties
If your commercial property still implements reactive maintenance, here are the top reasons why you should switch to a preventative maintenance program.
Lower Maintenance Expenses
Some commercial property owners may be wary of the financial implications of preventative maintenance plans. It can be discouraging to have to pay for maintenance expenses each month, especially if your business is not doing well financially. However, preventative maintenance is truly more cost-effective in the long run. Since you’ll be able to identify minor issues, they will be much cheaper to repair or replace. If these issues are left unnoticed, they will become major problems — and will be very expensive to deal with. Switch to preventative maintenance if you want to lower your overall maintenance expenses.
Longer Lifespan for Components
Preventative maintenance ensures that all commercial property components are in good working condition. Regular maintenance can significantly extend the lifespan of your equipment and structures. This also means that components are less likely to break down ahead of its expected useful life. Thus, you won’t have to worry about having to replace expensive equipment or perform extensive structural repairs unexpectedly.
Safer Work Environment
Property owners are responsible for the safety of their employees, customers, and tenants. If machinery or equipment suddenly breaks down, this can create numerous safety hazards for your commercial property. Lack of proper maintenance can also lead to structural issues, which can put your workers at risk — especially during earthquakes, floods, and storms. Preventative maintenance will take care of all commercial property components to avoid potential safety hazards.
Reduce Production or Productivity Losses
When components suddenly fail without warning, you have no choice but to halt work or production in your commercial properly. Extensive repairs may also take a long time. Thus, you’ll be looking at significant production or productivity losses. Preventative maintenance makes sure that components are in good working condition so that they won’t break down unexpectedly. As such, your business can operate smoothly and efficiently each day.
Easy to Carry Out
Creating a preventative maintenance plan will require a lot of time, effort, and resources. However, once you have it, it will be very easy to carry out. Commercial property owners or managers can simply refer to their building preventative maintenance checklist and ensure that all tasks are accomplished according to schedule.
Ultimate Preventative Maintenance Checklist for Commercial Properties
Creating a preventative maintenance plan can be very daunting, especially if you have a large commercial property with various sectors. Owners and/or managers already have so much on their plate already so it can be burdensome to also keep track of all the commercial preventive maintenance services needed. However, this is essential if you want to keep your commercial property running smoothly. The key is to create a preventative maintenance checklist that contains all the relevant details including maintenance requirements and schedules.
Here’s what should be included in the ultimate preventative maintenance checklist.
Preventative maintenance includes inspection of lightbulbs, fixtures, and hardware on a regular basis. Replacing each light bulb when it burns out is more reactive maintenance and time-consuming. With preventive maintenance, technicians can schedule a group relamping for better efficiency. Planned lighting maintenance may also include the following services:
- Routine Inspection to Identify Damaged Lights or Fixtures
- Deep Cleaning of Interior and Exterior Light Fixtures
- Survey Light Levels for Optimal Illumination
- Light Troubleshooting and Compatibility Issues
- Custom Lighting Solutions
Electrical components should be inspected at least one a year or as needed. Preventative maintenance can help you see potential issues such as cracks and corrosions. Addressing these issues will eliminate electrical malfunctions that could lead to safety hazards and property damage. Make sure to inspect and monitor the following:
- Switches and Switchgears
- Breaker Boxes
- Arc and Ground Fault Circuit Breakers
- Voltage Regulators, Panels, and Transformers
- Wiring Distribution and Terminations
- Alarms, Motion Sensors, and Security Systems
- Whole Building Surge Protectors
HVAC systems can accumulate a lot of dust, debris, and other contaminants, all of which can affect indoor air quality. To avoid potential health hazards, preventative maintenance will perform monitor and clean HVAC systems on a regular basis. Technicians will also look out for noises and vibrations that may suggest problems with the HVAC. Here are other essential services:
- Cleaning and Replacement of HEPA filters
- Pressure Washing HVAC Coils
- Test Thermostat and Air Flow
- Service HVAC Motor and Belts
- HVAC Sanitation and Disinfection
- Air Duct Cleaning
Plumbing is an essential component of your preventative maintenance checklist. Have a professional inspect your plumbing to identify leaks, cracks, noises, and other potential issues. Wear-and-tear system tests will see if everything is working properly. Make sure to check the following:
- Faucet Aerators
- Toilet Tanks
- Sinks and Showers
- Kitchen Garbage Disposal
- Visible Pipes
- Water Boosters
- Circulation Pump Systems
- Washer Supply Lines, Drain Hook Up
- Water Heaters and Boilers
- Water Pressure
- Sewage Pumps
- Sump Pumps
- Irrigation Systems
It’s important to monitor the structural integrity of your commercial property. Preventative maintenance will regularly inspect floors, walls, and ceilings to see if there are signs or damage or deterioration. Technicians will also check if all components including door locks and windows are operational. Here are some maintenance services for the interiors.
- Painting and Drywall Repairs
- Carpet and Tile Cleaning
- Floor Cleaning and Waxing
- Sneeze Guard Installation
- Kitchen Equipment Cleaning
- Staircase and Railings Maintenance
The exterior of a commercial property can say a lot about how you manage your business. If you want to attract customers or tenants, it’s important to have beautiful and well-maintained exteriors. Doors, railings, and windows should also be maintained properly to prevent accidents and liabilities. Similarly, walkways, parking lots, and driveways should be free of debris, dirt, and other unwanted substances. Here are preventive maintenance services for the exteriors.
- Pressure Washing
- Touchup Painting
- Graffiti Removal
- Gum Removal
- Parking Lot Restriping
- Emergency Board-Ups
- Sign Installation
- Gutter Cleaning and Repairs
- Siding Repair
- Stone Veneer Repair
- Window Cleaning
- Roof Cleaning and Repairs
Preventative maintenance is essential to ensure that safety equipment in your commercial property is in good working condition. You don’t want to be in the middle of an emergency and find out that they are not functioning. For the safety of everyone, make sure to inspect and check the following:
- First-Aid Supplies
- Smoke Alarms
- Fire Extinguishers
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Safety Signs
- Fire Exits
There are some maintenance services that are only needed or best performed during certain times of the year. Your preventative maintenance checklist should also list these services so that when the time comes, you are well-prepared. Here are some seasonal maintenance services.
- Ice Pre-Treatment
- Snow Plowing and Ice Removal
- Landscape Design and Maintenance
- Resurfacing Asphalt Surfaces
Start a Relationship
Why Choose MSI?
Preventative maintenance can be easy and hassle-free as long as it is done right. In order to protect your commercial property, choose a licensed and reputable company like Maintenance Specialists Inc. With years of experience in the industry, our clients have come to trust us for high-quality services at competitive prices. If you choose to partner with MSI, here’s what you can expect:
- Experience and Expertise : The MSI team has over 100 years of combined maintenance experience. We have a deep understanding of the maintenance needs of commercial properties and know how to deal with all kinds of situations. Rest assured, you’ll receive a level of service that only comes with extensive experience and expertise.
- Highly Skilled Technicians : MSI is proud to have a team of knowledgeable and licensed technicians. No matter your maintenance needs, we have specialists that can take care of it. Our technicians are always up-to-date with industry standards in order to provide you with an unmatched quality of service
- Professional-Grade Tools and Equipment : In order to deliver a broad range of maintenance services, MSI has invested in professional-grade tools and equipment. We have everything to keep your commercial property clean, safe, and well-maintained.
- Our utmost priority is the safety and well-being of our clients. MSI technicians always wear personal protective equipment (PPE) and respirators, as well as have a wide range of safety equipment to prevent accidents or damage.
- Flexible Scheduling : We offer flexible scheduling so that there is minimal disruption to your business. MSI will come whenever is most convenient for you. We are also on-call 24/7 in case you need emergency maintenance services.
- Insured and Bonded : Your commercial property is in good hands with MSI. As a fully insured and bonded company, you won’t have to worry about potential errors or damages.
For commercial property preventative maintenance in Charlotte, NC, do not hesitate to reach out to Maintenance Specialists Inc! Call us today at (704) 405-6000 to receive a free quote or learn more about our services.
Contact Maintenace Specialists
2828 Queen City Drive Suite J
Charlotte NC 28208
We service Charlotte Mecklenburg County
Map & Directions [+]
Monday-Friday: 8am – 5pm
Emergency Service: 24/7