Types of Building Maintenance
There are two general types of commercial building maintenance:
Commercial building preventive maintenance involves proactively performing maintenance tasks to prevent deterioration or malfunction. It means anticipating and addressing problems before they arise. Preventive maintenance is popular because it helps save both time and money for the business.
This type of building maintenance involves performing maintenance work as a result of a failure or breakdown. In other words, it addresses the problem after it has already happened.
Frequently Asked Questions
Building maintenance is the process of maintaining all aspects of a property to preserve its appearance and ensure everything functions properly.
Frequency of Building Maintenance
Building maintenance covers a wide range of tasks, all designed to serve one purpose: to keep the building clean, safe, and healthy. But, these tasks can’t all be done every day. When it comes to how often to perform commercial property maintenance, there are three frequencies:
Day-to-Day Maintenance and Repairs.
Day-to-day maintenance and repairs deal with the everyday problems that may arise in a commercial building. This includes the watering of plants, making sure drainage pipes remain clear, replacing fuses, mowing the lawn, repairing faulty switches, general sweeping, and the like. This type of maintenance ensures that the building’s services function properly and as intended.
Annual Maintenance and
Annual maintenance includes services and repairs that are too big to perform on a daily basis. The purpose of this type of maintenance is to preserve the appearance and lifespan of various areas of the commercial building. This can include painting or touch-up painting, whitewashing, tank cleaning, parking lot restriping, and the like.
Special Maintenance and
Commercial buildings are not immune to deterioration. When that happens, special maintenance and repairs are required. The purpose of this type of maintenance is to fix malfunctioning items/equipment or, if necessary, replace them altogether. This is an essential part of maintaining a building.
Although there are many types of maintenance workers, each with a particular specialty, general categories include the following:
These maintenance workers take care of the building’s cleanliness. Janitorial tasks typically include sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming carpets, and washing glass windows or doors.
These maintenance workers are responsible for carrying out maintenance and repair tasks. They also perform inspections of commercial properties.
These maintenance workers oversee the job. They are the ones who plan and assign tasks as well as supervise maintenance technicians and janitors.
Benefits of Professional Commercial Building Maintenance
Cleaning is a necessary part of building maintenance. Proper disinfection of surfaces is proven to reduce the spread of germs, keeping your employees and customers healthy and happy.
Instead of hiring a commercial cleaning company, though, MSI can take care of the dirty work. We provide both cleaning services and building maintenance services, packaging them to fit your budget and needs. We will enhance the overall health of both your employees and workers through our strict cleaning standards.
Start a Relationship
Building Maintenance Checklist
A year-round building maintenance checklist should include the following items:
- Clean windows and doors
- Check whether all locks are functioning properly
- Replace broken light bulbs
- Test fire alarms and security systems
- Check the batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and replace if necessary
- Inspect fire extinguishers
- Replace HVAC filters
- Replace water filters
- Inspect property for signs of infestation or leaks
Additional maintenance tasks are also required depending on the season.
Summer Building Maintenance
- Clean gutters and drains
- Clear roof of debris Check roof for damages
- Clean trash area and check if in good condition
- Inspect the following:
- Parking lot (striping and signs)
- Structural materials (look out for signs of rotting, rust, etc.)
- Water run-off or signs of erosion
Fall Building Maintenance
- Remove fallen leaves
- Check water heater
- Have the boiler/furnace serviced
- Winterize irrigation system
- Check plumbing system for signs of leaks
- Repair cracks in the parking lot
- Seal all gaps or cracks in the building leading to the outside
Winter Building Maintenance
- Prune trees and prepare landscaping
- Check the roof for ice dams
- Inspect for signs of water damage
- Hire snow removal services
Spring Building Maintenance
- Have air conditioner units serviced
- Inspect HVAC system
- Check if outdoor lighting is working properly
- Clean and maintain landscaping
- Hire pressure washing services
Why MSI is your Best Option?
At MSI, we are committed to providing our customers with consistent, quality services. Our maintenance and cleaning services will help you make the most out of your investment and preserve your quality appearance. Let us contribute to the operational success of your organization.
Other reasons to choose MSI to provide your commercial building maintenance services include:
- Fully insured and licensed general contractor in North
- Highly skilled technicians with specializations
- Safe and eco-friendly products
- State of the art equipment
- Completed Job Hazard Analysis form before every job
- Customizable service packages based on your budget and needs
- On site within 24 hours for emergency services
- Serves all kinds of commercial properties and businesses
Take the First Step with Us
Building maintenance is an essential part of commercial property management. And for that, you need Maintenance Specialists Inc., one of the best commercial maintenance companies in the area. No other building maintenance services company can match the quality of our work or our level of customer service.
Our maintenance services cover every area, including but not limited to, commercial cleaning, preventive maintenance, pressure washing, lighting services, minor plumbing repairs, and more. We’re here to do the job properly and efficiently at affordable prices. If you need a reliable and low-cost provider that you can trust to handle your every need, contact us today for a quote or call (704) 405-6000.