Do you need touch up painting services in Charlotte, NC? Maintenance Specialists Inc. will take care of all your commercial painting needs — from repainting dull and damaged paint to graffiti and vandalism removal. You can count on us to restore the appearance of your business.
Reasons for Commercial Touch Up Painting
A well-painted exterior has many benefits for a commercial property. It can boost curb appeal, increase foot traffic, and maintain property values, The paint inside your commercial property matters, too. Based on color psychology, blue and green can have a positive effect on employees’ creativity and well-being. Meanwhile, orange can encourage customer spending.
Given these benefits, commercial properties know the importance of routine paint maintenance. They also get full commercial painting services done every 5 to 10 years, depending on the condition of the commercial property. However, a lot can happen to the exterior and interior paint within that period. This is where touch up painting comes in. Here are the reasons why you need it.
The exterior of a commercial property is constantly exposed to people, vehicles, natural elements, and so on. Thus, it’s natural to see signs of wear and tear on the paint.
The presence of mold, mildew, algae, and rust can stain parts of your exterior. If these stains are left for too long, they become very stubborn and hard to remove.
If you have already tried pressure washing stains to no avail, consider touch up painting. After addressing underlying issues, a fresh coat of paint will remove these stubborn stains from your property. The same also applies to paint in interior walls.
Aside from improving aesthetics, touch up painting also has another benefit. It adds a layer of protection to your walls. For instance, UV-resistant paint can block the sun’s rays. This will prevent the paint from fading quickly, as well as protect the underlying surface from UV damage. There are also many other paints with added protection such as anti-bacterial, anti-slip, and anti-stain.
Increase Property Value
The color of paint can significantly affect a commercial property’s value. If you are selling your commercial property, consider touch up painting. For a small investment, your property will be able to fetch at a much higher price. Neutral colors can increase property values while bright colors may decrease property values. Keep this in mind when selling your commercial property.
Frequently Asked Questions About Touch Up Painting
Simply painting over a painted wall will lead to a flat and dull appearance. For the best results, clean the surface first, sand it, and then seal with a primer. Apply at least two coats of touch up paint for better opacity.
You do not have to completely remove the original paint before repainting. However, if there are areas that are already flaking or cracking, these will need to be removed. This is to ensure that the new paint will properly adhere to the surface.
If the new paint does not match the original paint, it could be because the paint was stored for too long and lost moisture. As much as possible, use fresh paint for touch up painting. You can also use a paint reducer to help the touch up paint blend into the original paint. A professional painter will also know specific techniques to blend touch up paint flawlessly.
Sanding isn’t required when touching up the paint of wooden surfaces. However, the wood needs to be prepped. Use soapy water to remove accumulated dirt, dust, and grime. You can also pressure wash the surface for quicker results. The paint will adhere to the surface much better if it is clean.
Paints and primers serve different functions. A primer is specifically formulated for adhesion and sealing. If you do not have time to apply a primer, use a self-priming paint because it has sealing properties and allows for better adhesion to the surface.
Primer isn’t supposed to function as paint. It is designed to seal porous surfaces so that paint better adheres to the surface. Unlike paint, primer isn’t formulated to withstand natural elements. If you don’t paint over primer, it will eventually deteriorate and break down.
You must wait for the primer to dry before applying paint. Latex primers take 3-4 hours to dry while oil-based primers may take up to 24 hours. However, primers can last up to 30 days. Any longer than that, you will need to reapply the primer.
Painting another coat too soon or too late can lead to disastrous results. As a rule of thumb, make sure to apply the second coat of paint within 24 hours.
The average cost of exterior painting is about $0.50 to $3.50 per square foot. Compared to vinyl and wood surfaces, brick and stucco walls may cost an additional $1 per square foot. The exact price will depend on several factors such as your location and the condition of your walls,
Start a Relationship
The Process of Touch Up Painting
Touch up painting may seem like a fairly straightforward process. However, there are key steps that you need to take to ensure that the new coat of paint blends seamlessly with the rest of the surface. Here are the basic but important steps involved in touch up painting.
The initial inspection of commercial painting contractors is a crucial part of the process. If a commercial property owner does not have specific details of the previous paint job, the inspection will allow you to find the exact paint match for the surface.
During the inspection, you may also see minor issues that need to be addressed. For example, if there is mold overgrowth, this needs to be addressed. Otherwise, the paint may not stick and you’ll have to do it all over again. That’s a waste of your time, effort, and money.
Allow to Dry and Cure
Paint typically takes 6-8 hours to dry. However, the curing process may take up to two weeks to cure. Dry and cure times also depend on external factors such as humidity levels and weather conditions. There are some tools that can make the paint dry faster such as a blow jet and air regulator, infrared drying lamp, panel dryer, or paint drying system.
Pressure Wash the Surface
A wall should be thoroughly cleaned to maximize the benefits of touch up painting. While manual scrubbing may be able to clean the surface, it will take you a very long time. To minimize any type of disruption to your business, go for a fast cleaning method like pressure washing. Depending on the surface, you may need:
- Pressure Washing: Since this cleaning method uses high-pressure water, it is suitable for cleaning durable surfaces such as concrete walls. You won’t need cleaning solutions because the pressure is enough to remove graffiti, stains, gum, dirt, and other buildups.
- Soft Washing: High-pressure water can be too much for more delicate surfaces such as brick, stucco, and vinyl siding. Soft washing is preferred because it combines effective cleaning solutions with low-pressure water. This cleaning method is also effective in removing mold, mildew, and other microorganisms from any surface.
- Power Washing: Power washing is similar to pressure washing but uses hot water. The increase in water temperature is effective in removing dried gum from any type of surface. Power washing may also be used to quickly clean large surface areas.
Apply the Paint
Once the surface has been thoroughly cleaned and dried, it is time to apply the paint. Depending on the nature of the touch up painting job, there may be different types of paint used.
- Primer: A primer is first applied to the surface so that the new paint adheres to the base surface. It will seal small imperfections on the surface so that the new paint will go on smoothly and seamlessly.
- Sealer: Commercial properties can use a sealer instead of a primer — or both. A sealer fulfills the same function, which is to ensure that the new paint adheres to the base surface. However, sealer paint is much better for surfaces that are porous, have holes or hairline cracks, or generally unfit for painting. A sealer is also used when the current paint is incompatible with the new finish.
- Undercoat: After primer and/or sealer, an undercoat is applied to the surface. The undercoat helps strengthen the functions of the primer and/or sealer. It also prevents moisture from penetrating the surface.
- Top Coat: This is the actual paint that will be visible from the surface. For an opaque and flawless finish, consider applying two coats of topcoat — or more if needed.
Why Choose MSI?
Maintenance Specialists Inc. is a licensed and established company in Charlotte, NC. Apart from touch up painting, we offer a wide range of commercial maintenance services including pressure washing, construction cleanup, drywall repair, preventive maintenance. When you partner with MSI, here’s what you can expect:
- Over 100 years of combined experience on our maintenance staff
- Licensed technicians and specialists for every kind of job
- Strict safety standards and full personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect the wellbeing of our clients
- Professional-grade tools and equipment for every kind of maintenance task
- Flexible scheduling for minimal work disruption and on-call 24/7 for emergency services
- Fully insured and bonded so no need to worry about errors, mistakes, or damage
- High-quality service with competitive pricing to suit your budget and needs
If you need commercial touch up painting services in Charlotte, NC, do not hesitate to contact Maintenance Specialists Inc. today! Call us at (704) 405-6000 to receive a free quote or to learn more about our services.
Take the First Step with Us
Many owners will have their employees perform touch up painting to save on expenses. However, there are many things that can go wrong. Why not save yourself all the headaches and hassle? A professional maintenance company like MSI will get the job done quickly and flawlessly. Here are the benefits of professional touch up painting for commercial properties.
Make Paint Last Longer
Professionals have established experience dealing with all kinds of paint. By customizing their approach based on factors like weather patterns, available equipment, and type of paint, they will be able to make your paint last for much longer.
Professional-Grade Tools and Equipment
A lot of tools and equipment are required even for a minor touch up painting job. With a professional maintenance company, you won’t have to waste money buying all kinds of tools and products. Technicians already have everything they need to get the job done.
Avoid Damage and Other Liabilities
In-house painting can lead to potential property damage, accidents, and other liabilities. There are so many things that can go wrong when employees with no maintenance experience try to operate a pressure washer or paint hard-to-reach surfaces. To protect your workers and your business, it’s much better to hire professionals to perform touch up painting.
Cost-Effective and Convenient
Hiring a professional commercial painting company is much more convenient. You won’t have to worry about anything because the technicians will handle everything — from the initial inspection to drying. It’s also cost-effective in the long run. It’s a worthwhile investment because you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of professional touch up painting longer than if it were done by amateur painters.
Contact Maintenace Specialists
2828 Queen City Drive Suite J
Charlotte NC 28208
We service Charlotte Mecklenburg County
Map & Directions [+]
Monday-Friday: 8am – 5pm
Emergency Service: 24/7