Too many property owners avoid getting commercial HVAC maintenance because of the perceived cost of the service. But, its benefits far outweigh the cost.
Why Should You Get HVAC Maintenance?
It is imperative for every property owner to maintain their HVAC system. After all, it serves to provide a comfortable space for your customers, tenants, and workers. Improper maintenance can lead to a malfunctioning system, which can interrupt the normal flow of your business. Still not convinced? Here are the benefits of getting HVAC maintenance:
1. More Comfort
Have you ever set your thermostat to a specific setting and found your HVAC system unable to reach that temperature? It may be due to faulty parts, leaks, or reduced airflow. You can easily avoid such problems, though, by ensuring proper HVAC maintenance. Make your customers and employees feel more comfortable in their environment.
In addition to comfort, maintaining your HVAC system also leads to improved safety. A malfunctioning HVAC system can generate more carbon monoxide or fail to get rid of existing carbon monoxide produced by other appliances. If you don’t know, carbon monoxide is an odorless and deadly gas.
2. Better Air Quality
A well-maintained HVAC system filters out the particulates in the air and provides you with better air quality. But, a poorly functioning system can’t filter out contaminants like dust, mold, pollen, and pet dander. Not only does this contribute to bad air quality, but it also makes for an unhealthy environment.
3. Energy Efficient
When you set a poorly maintained heater to a particular temperature, it will work harder than usual to achieve that setting. This leads to more energy consumption, but proper maintenance of an HVAC system can easily prevent this. When your heater or cooler is working optimally, it will consume less energy and still provide you with a comfortable atmosphere. Plus, you can look forward to more savings on your utility bill!
4. Avoid Costly Repairs
Small problems can quickly compound into larger, irreversible damages. Such damages will either force you to shell out a large sum of money for repairs or replace the system altogether. Fortunately, with proper HVAC maintenance, you can avoid costly repairs. While maintaining your HVAC system does cost some money, it is nothing compared to the amount you will save on repairs or replacements.
5. Longer Lifespan
As with most equipment or appliances, proper care will preserve their quality and functionality. Therefore, if you want to make the most out of your investment, you need to ensure adequate maintenance. Make sure to have the system inspected, cleaned, and maintained so that you can put off having to buy a new unit.
What to Include in a Commercial HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Maintaining an HVAC system can come as a challenge, especially if you don’t know what you are doing. And while there may be a few differences, the process generally remains the same across all units. Here are the things that go into an HVAC maintenance plan.
- General Cleaning. Every plan should include general cleaning of the unit and its components. Make sure to check every part of the system, including any oil or gas connections.
- Air Filter Replacement. Air filters keep out debris and particulates, contributing to better air quality. Therefore, it is important to replace the air filters regularly.
- Outdoor Equipment Inspection. The outdoor HVAC unit should also undergo a thorough cleaning and examination.
- Refrigerant Check. It is imperative for the HVAC system to have just the right amount of refrigerant.
- Fan Examination. For proper functionality, check the fan (including its blades and the motor) to ensure no damages.
- Thermostat Assessment. It is equally crucial to check the thermostat settings. It should allow for a comfortable environment when there are people in the room but conserve energy when no one is around.
- Electrical Work. Your plan should always involve checking the electrical work. This way, you can ensure tight connections and accurate readings.
- Coil Cleaning. Cleaning the coils on both the condenser and evaporator will allow the HVAC system to function at a more optimal rate. This can contribute to better energy efficiency and a longer lifespan.
- Lubrication. Improper lubrication can give rise to more resistance, leading to energy waste.
- Blower Maintenance. Maintaining and cleaning the blower is also significant because it helps regulate the airflow.
- Condensate Drain Inspection. Clogs in the condensate drain can lead to a poorly functioning HVAC system. Make sure to remove any debris obstructing this component.
HVAC Maintenance Cost
The cost of maintaining your HVAC system will depend on a number of factors. This includes the company you choose and the service/s you want to avail of. Sometimes, the condition of your system can also affect the HVAC service cost.
Generally speaking, annual maintenance costs can run between $140 to $200, but maintenance contracts can cost an additional $100 to $150. Such extended contracts, though, will usually include maintenance for the entire system. Repairs are a different matter and can cost you anywhere between $5o to $150 per hour, depending on the provider and degree of damage.
Calling on the Pros
It is hard to maintain an HVAC system when you lack experience or knowledge. There are so many things that can go wrong along the way. For this reason, commercial property owners and businesses should leave such tasks in the capable hands of professionals.
Professional companies have the necessary expertise and equipment. Such companies also offer a variety of services, including HVAC preventive maintenance as well as heating and cooling repair services. Professionals can get the job done in far less time and with much better results, too. This will allow you to save money on damages resulting from mistakes. Moreover, it ensures minimal disruption to your business.
Additionally, professionals can provide you with general HVAC maintenance tips you can use. It is generally recommended to do complete maintenance of your HVAC system at least once a year, right before winter. As for the rest of the year, you can rely on the tips and advice of experienced technicians.
The Time Is Now
HVAC maintenance may not sound like an urgent matter, which is why so many property owners put it off year after year whether it’s due to negligence, ignorance, or some other reason. But, delaying HVAC care can lead to more major problems down the line. If you want to save time and money, proper HVAC maintenance is key.
Maintaining your HVAC system is hard to do. Fortunately, you can rely on the expert technicians at Maintenance Specialists Inc. to get the job done right. Give us a call today at (704) 405-6000 or contact us online to get a free estimate.
- What Are The Common Building Maintenance Problems And How To Solve Them?
- What Is Facilities Maintenance? And How Can It Benefit Commercial Establishments?
- Where To Go For Mailbox Repair?